Monday, June 30, 2008

Being Unique...Like Everyone Else

Our society seems to tell our kids that they're special and different in their own way. And it's pretty funny to me to know that while we're saying this, so are the neighbors to their kids...and so are their neighbors, etc.

I've been a number in a classroom and have felt disconnected because of it. I think that's why I became friends with the teachers...they made me feel better about myself and gave me personal attention that I needed.

But over the years I've learned that I can't rely on other people to notice me while I sit on the sidelines. I've learned to jump up and say to the people in charge, "you need me in there because I can be a good asset for you." I've continued to do this with my employers...doing things that will help me to stand out in their minds, in hopes of receiving that uniqueness.

I say I'm like everyone else because there are a lot of things about me that many people share...my name, my job, my car, my family, my values. But while I say that, I do realize that I am my own person and am willing to share that with anyone I meet. I dare to be different than the world around me. I will always be a number...but it doesn't have to make me disconnected from life.

No comments: